The increasing need for elderly home assistance
ELDERLY NEEDS ARE MANY
The elderly face many issues, even in their own homes
With reduced dexterity and strength, the elderly are inconvenienced by a great many things.
THE ELDERLY ARE APLENTY
Singapore faces the challenge of an ageing population
By 2025, the elderly will comprise 19.3% of Singapore's population. They will require appropriate care and help.
ELDERLY FALL DOWN PLENTY
Sicknesses and injuries are debilitating
The need for healthcare increases as we age. Our elderly care infrastructure must improve accordingly.
Singapore's Age Dependency
The ratio of elderly dependents to the working population of Singapore is drastically increasing over time.
Causes of injury
A study on 720 cases of injuries involving elderly in Singapore.
Home injuries account for a large majority of the causes.
How might we make toilets easier & safer to use for less mobile elderly?
Removing the hassle of showering
An automatic triple axis showering system which allows the user to shower with minimal movement. A movable and rotatable shower head is able to reach most parts of the user’s body.
Reducing Risk, Improving Convenience
Minimal movement in the shower reduces the risk of falling and simplifies the process of showering, making this daily necessity seem less of a chore.
our design journey
We meet up every Sunday to talk update each other on progress and discuss future plans
Meeting with our Mentor
Features listed in the MVPs have to be more specific.
Do more research!!!
Weekly meeting agenda:
What have we accomplished?
What are the challenges we faced?
What do we have to accomplish next week?
Created a timeline working up to the mid term showcase.
Split up the work: CADding the design, researching on the materials and consulting FAB lab staff
Finalised the design as well as the materials!!!
Our CADded design looks pretty good :)
Prototype 1 - 3D Printed
Yay got our pieces cut out
Our aesthetic shower holster
23/10/2016 - 30/10/2016
Fabrication of prototype 2 for the mid term showcase
Bending the acrylic was tough :(
Programming our steppersssss
Prototype 2: Acrylic
Things we learnt from the 2nd prototype:
1) The "banana" is too heavy and big. The motors might not be able to handle the torque required for the "banana" to traverse upwards.
2) There's a lot of wasted space!!!
3) Bending the acrylic was tough and it is impossible to replicate the dimensions exactly.
Potential Prototype 3 - Metal frame
1) A more minimalistic design featuring a metal frame minimises the overall weight of the banana as well. The only enclosed part is at the back, minimising the space as well.
2) We intend to get professionals to bend the frame to specific dimensions, which can be replicated across prototypes.
#teamsheli @ JP Morgan, Capital Towers
Pitching session to get feedback for our product as well as presentation skills!
1) Think about the market/opportunity size for the product
2) Clear goals! What do we want out of the people we are pitching to? Are they prospective buyers/investors?
3) Commercial concerns? Transportation/manufacturing??
4) Cost distribution, end cost to user VS cost of production
1) Present with conviction/belief in the product
2) Engage the audience, ask questions?
3) Walk around more, gesticulate, be energetic
4) Face the laptop screen towards you so that you don't have to look back to the slides if you forget stuff.
5/12/2016 - 16/12/2016
We'll be back after finals to work on our prototype and presentation for our next pitching session at Myanmar, Yangon!
Meeting to discuss content for presentation, poster and pamphlet, as well as plans to continue building the next prototype.
Scheduled a meeting with our mentor Simon on 30/12/2016.
6 SUTD students are gonna change the world.
Very quiet. Loves programming. Enjoys helping others.
Hopes to make an impact in society using the latest technology :)
Likes trying new things, looking at beautiful scenery and reading nerd stuff. Mostly harmless.
Tze How hopes to use his time in university to develop stuff. Lots of stuff.
Wants to try new things and travel the world. Loves fooood.
Loves traveling and making cool stuff.
Wishes to make something huge!!